Wednesday 3 February 2016

Raspberry Pi - Static IP Address

For some reason, the configuration of static IP addresses in /etc/network/interfaces in the manner I've been using since Redhat 4.0 back in the mid to late 90s no longer works on the recent Raspbian Jessie images for the Raspberry Pi.

I've not researched why, I think its related to the GUI tools. I only use the cmd line and never even boot a GUI on so have come to the conclusion life is too short. So its time to learn something new again, but once you know where it is configured it isn't too difficult.

The configuration is now performed in the file /etc/dhcpcd.conf with the follow entries being added:-

  interface eth0
  static ip_address=192.168.0.10/24
  static routers=192.168.0.1
  static domain_name_servers=208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220


Obviously you need to change the details above to reflect your particular network.

The DNS servers listed are for the OpenDNS servers

Its as easy as Pi, just I quiet liked my old Pi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments made are subject to moderation.